Bohol Philippines Web Design – Web Design, Website Hosting and Bohol Web Marketing Services
How To Speed Up Windows 7 – Guide To Making Windows 7 Super Fast
Windows 7 is now out! Here is what i found to Speed Up Windows 7
Windows 7 is a much faster operating system than Vista, but even then most of us are not satisfied with the speed due to bloat-ware or improper settings. If you love your new Windows 7 OS but wish it was just a little faster, you’re in luck. I’ve just finished setting up Windows 7 for my friends and I think some of you might be interested in some of the tweaks I made to make them quicker. By following the guidelines below, you can speed up the overall performance of your PC with Windows 7.
1. Disable the Windows 7 Sidebar and Gadgets
Disabling the window 7 sidebar is definitely help you to to gain a few seconds during start up time
* Right click on the sidebar and select ” Properties “.
* On the properties windows uncheck the check box showing ” Start sidebar when Windows Starts “
* From now on windows sidebar won’t start when windows 7 start up.
2. Turn off the Unnecessary Windows 7 Visual Effects
* Click Start button , then click Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.
* Click Adjust visual effects.
* Click the Visual Effects tab, choose Adjust For Best Performance, and then click OK.
3. Disable the Windows 7 Aero Theme
Disabling the aero theme alone in Windows 7 will really speed things up.
* Right click any where on your desktop and select Personalize.
* In the Personalization window, choose any of the available Basic and High Contrast Themes . Windows 7 applies the new theme automatically.
4. Choose Maximum Performance Power Plan
Advanced power plan settings allow you to adjust a wide range of hardware power-saving/performance features. You can even change the min/max CPU usage, which can have a huge performance hit when set incorrectly.
* Open Power Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.
* On the Select a power plan page, activate the ” High Performance ” plan and that’s it.
5. Speed up Windows 7 File browsing By Disable the Thumbnail Preview Feature
If there are a lot of thumbnails in a Windows Explorer window, then it can slow down your computer while you wait for the thumbnails to load. If this happens, then disabling thumbnails will speed up how fast a Windows Explorer window will open by displaying only icons instead of thumbnails.
* Open Folder Options (Open a Windows Explorer window.Click on the Organize button. Click on Folder and Search Options.)
* Click on the View tab.
* Check Always show icons, never thumbnails, then click on OK.
6. Speed up Windows 7 Task bar Thumbnail Preview
* 1. Click on Start, enter “regedit” into the search field.
* 2. Goto: HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelMouse
* 3. Double-click on “Mouse Hover Time” and change the value to 100 or lower. Your thumbnail previews should appear a lot faster now.
7. Disable the Windows 7 Search Indexing Feature
In order to speed up the search process, the Search indexing service scans through the files and folders on the Windows system and records information about them in an index file. But it also consumes some resources of the system, so for the users with a slow computer it is beneficial to turn off search indexing.
* Right Click the “Computer” Icon in the desktop and select “Manage”.
* Click “Services and Applications” in the “Computer Management” window.
* Click on “Services”.
* You can see a lot of services listed there. Look for “Windows Search” in that.
* Right Click on “Windows Search” from the list and choose “Properties”.
* The “Windows Search Properties Window” will open up. From “Start-up type” click on the drop down menu and choose “Disabled”.
* Click “Apply” then “OK” and thats it. The Windows 7 Search Indexing Feature is now disabled.
8. Use Automatic Log on to Speed up Windows 7
If you are the only person with access to your PC and feel you don’t need to secure it with a password then you can use automatic log on to save a few seconds. This will boot right to your desktop without any need to enter a password and wait for loading. Please be aware that anyone could use your computer by doing this, so consider the security aspect first.
* To begin, load the run box by pressing WINDOWS KEY + R, then type “control userpasswords2″ and click OK:
* This will load a list of all the user accounts within Windows. Select the account you wish to use as the automatic log in by clicking on it, and then untick the “users must enter a user-name and password to use this computer” box. Then click apply:
* Another window will then appear which prompts you to enter the password (twice) for the auto log in account. Once you have done this, click OK:
* Next time you start your PC you should now be logged in automatically.
9. Disable the Unnecessary Services to Speed up Windows 7
There are some Windows services that are added by third party application that you may not use, as well as some default Windows services that may not be required. Disabling services requires some deeper knowledge, so only change these entries if you are confident in doing so.
To make changes, load the Service manager by running services.msc from the start menu or run box. Once loaded, you will see a list of all the services present on your computer. To make changes to a specific service, double click the entry (or right click and select properties):
Now you are able to configure the individual service. To choose automatic, disable or manual service start-up, you will need to choose the appropriate option from the drop-down box and then click OK:
Next time you start your PC, the service start-up type will have been changed. Unless you are sure that a service will never be needed, it is recommended that you choose manual start-up. This allows the service to be started on demand.
I hope this helped all the windows 7 users out there…
If you have anything to ad to this article please leave your comment below.
Does Your Business Need Advertising Solutions for Web design Combined with SEO and Marketing? We Have ALL The ANSWERS. Contact us if you want your business to grow and make more money. We provide solutions to your on-line marketing problems. Contact Us For a FREE Quote Today!
|Print article||This entry was posted by BoholWebDesign on June 7, 2010 at 12:29 am, and is filed under windows 7 tips. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.|